The Cat : A short story

 The Cat


Image Credit: Generated using AI via Google Assistant 


I love kittens. Don't ask me why. I just adore them. Their pretty eyes, cute whiskers and heart melting meows can just fill your mind with some sort of calm and serene fullness. 

That is why I could never imagine that I would be hating a cat in this life. There is a cat in our locality, which does not belong to anyone. But it'll visit a bunch of nearby houses and acquires its daily food by showing off its cuteness. It has white fur with a patch of grey on its back. 

So why am I hating it?

Because once this creature opens its mouth, whenever it is in my vicinity, some "demonic" sounds are produced. If it was the same with everyone, I would not have bothered. Annoying enough, this atrocity happens only when it is near me. 

As far as I remember, I had never harmed this cat. I had fed it left over food some times and had never shown any intention of harming this vexatious feline anytime. 

But this cat is downright hostile towards me. Initially it was just the weird sounds. Recently it has tried to scratch me with its sharp claws, which I escaped only because of my quick reflexes. 

No one believes me when I discuss about this animal. Because to them, it is a docile innocent creature. And they defend it by simplifying it as a coincidence or accident.

One night looking out of the bedroom window, I saw the abomination stationed on the wall and staring at me unblinkingly. I was a bit scared by the unnatural glow of its eyes. I tries shooing it away, which turned out to be futile. My paranoia was increasing minute by minute. I decided I'll just call someone else at home and show them. 

But by the time they came, the feline had disappeared somewhere. 

I swear, one day I'm gonna kill this damn creature! I'm so done with it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey kitty, why do you always growl at the girl from that house?"

An old woman next door asked the cat, while feeding it some leftover fish. 

"Poor girl is living alone after loosing her family in a tragic accident. Don't bother her... Good kitty." The lady said as she finished feeding the cat.

"Meow" The cat meowed innocently.

Comments