Echoes from the moors: My favourite quotes from Wuthering Heights
Echoes from the moors:
My favourite quotes from Wuthering Heights
"My love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath....
he's always in my mind-
not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself-
but as my own being"
What comes to your mind when you read this quote?
'Wuthering Heights' is maddening... I felt the emotions of Catherine, I felt the grudge of Heathcliff and the devotion of Edgar Linton... How the jealousy and hatred of one man almost destroyed the next generation!!
Reading the book was like riding a rollercoaster. One moment I was mesmerized by the picturesque language, next second I was thrown off by the toxic mentality and psychotic attitudes of the characters. I know that I am being blunt here. But that is what this book does to you!
Is Catherine the person responsible for the entire disaster? Or is Heathcliff the one? When Heathcliff was nothing more than a servant at Wuthering Heights, he was considered unworthy of Catherine. May be Catherine who was some what fond of Linton also thought so in her subconscious mind. She knew about Heathcliff's love and Linton's care for her. She loved both in a different way. But still she was sure deep down that her love for Heathcliff was stronger.
Even after her marriage, when Heathcliff returns a changed man, she could still sense his obsession over her. But she tries to control it in a superficial manner, somewhat allowing him to visit her everyday, engage in a conversation with her daily. When Heathcliff starts dating her sister-in-law, she uses harsh words against her- I felt she was totally jealous. Heathcliff only pretends his love for Isabella Linton and makes her elope with him. After marriage she realizes the true nature of Heathcliff.
The very place where he was once a servant became his own. The rightful owner of the place became his subordinate. Heathcliff's actions felt somewhat justifiable in the beginning. But when he starts his scheming to destroy the last joy of Edgar Linton- the life of his daughter, he felt like a true villain. He schemes with his ailing son, help him trap Catherine Linton the daughter of his beloved and turns her life bitter.
The boy who was once madly and innocently in love was turned into a corrupt monster. It's paradoxical that he still loved Catherine madly, while made the life of her daughter hellish. Human mind is totally complex, especially the one driven by grudge, revenge and obsession.
It is a love story... But it is the story of hatred too...
It is a tragedy... But it has a happy ending too...
Are you confused?
Just give it a go....
![]() |
| Graphic created using Canva |
![]() |
| Graphic created using Canva |
![]() |
| Graphic created using Canva |
![]() |
| Graphic created using Canva |
![]() |
| Graphic created using Canva |
![]() |
| Graphic created using Canva |









after a long time...
ReplyDelete